Thursday, September 2, 2010

One Christmas Eve


When I was about 30 years old and DH and I had been married for over 5 years, we bought our first home a month before Christmas.  We didn’t have children yet, and like many young couples we felt obligated to see both sets of parents during our few days off over  Christmas holiday.  My NM and step-father (SF) at the time lived about 3.5 hours away.  That year we’d planned to drive to see my folks after work on 12/23, go back home the 26th and then drive in the opposite direction on the 27th for a couple days.  We had planned an “After the Holidays” party at our house on 12/30 to meet new neighbors and invite old friends.  For some reason, I can’t remember why, my NM wanted to be there—she didn’t visit often.

My DH used to always say with humor that a visit to or from my NM had a 24-hour time limit.  After that, things always went downhill.  On this visit there was a big situation just after the 24-hour mark.

Their home was on a mountain with not much to do except hang out or cook and eat.  My NM loves to have a big greeting and show everything in the house and show all the cooking she had done.  She doesn’t get it that how you treat and respect people makes a family feel warm, not the gourmet food, or the décor.  You can’t have a normal conversation.  Unless you talk about a recipe or a TV show—those trivial topics are fine.  DH and I sat together a lot with his arm around me.  I remember my mom saying, “I haven’t seen you in a while—why don’t you fix up a little and make your hair all gorgeous like you can do.”  I had to remind her I was on a mountain, in a house with the 4 of us and didn't think I needed to be dolled up.  And I don’t think my SF liked seeing me cuddling with DH (the SF was a pervert--more on him later).

The big situation happened on Christmas Eve when my NM told us that she was bringing her dog to our house with her when she would stay with us for a few days for our party—but my SF would be staying at home.  Her dog was a real nervous Nellie, and not trained (not even house-trained) that pees when it meets people, jumps on everyone, and barks like crazy.  We told her it wasn’t a good idea for this visit as there’d be music, people coming in and out, and us showing our new home to friends and the dog would have to be crated and wouldn’t do well with that. (BTW she made a point of not training her dog saying that “she was done with any rules”, i.e. if the dog jumped on my lap when I was eating she’d say “Your problem is that you are not scooted into the table far enough.”).

Well.  She went ballistic.  Cried like a three-year old.  Told me how she paid for my schools, my wedding, did everything for me, and look what she gets in return.  “A slap in the face to her.”  SF chimed in too with the same comments (he was always mad at me and evil and followed her suit.  He was uneducated and originally from another country—a pattern so that my NM feels super smart and in charge).  I don’t remember what I said, but I do recall that since DH was there he was vocal and rational and stuck to the point such as, “This is our new house, and a house-warming party and this is about a dog."  Well, she retired to her bedroom for the night.

So, DH and I retired to our room too and then we left at dawn.  On the drive back home I cried a little and DH said, “Sorry you have to go through this.”  And I said, “You know what?  It sort of feels good.  It feels good knowing I won’t talk to her.  I’m kind of glad that this happened. I feel some relief.”

And then the next day we schlepped for hours and hours to another state to spend a few days with DH’s family (normal, nice people, but we were worn out and went back to work exhausted).  We made a vow to not do this traveling the next year--we needed a peaceful Christmas.  The next year we went away to a couple of bed and b’fast places and made some wonderful memories, and 17 years later we still talk about those memories.

After that fiasco I think we went for maybe 5 or 6 weeks without talking.  My NM sent me a letter about how she had always done everything for me, how hurt she was, etc.  I saw her again over Mother’s Day weekend. Time went on and it was never addressed, regular phone calls ensued and she occasionally visited when there was a conference in town, or on her way passing through for a day.  There used to be strong bond and I held on.  When I was 4 years old and my brother (BPB) was 6, my parents were divorced and my NM worked hard as a single mom.  She remarried when I was 7 and divorced again 2 years later and we lived in several different states and I started my fifth different school when I was in the middle of 4th grade (she always did what she wanted and never seemed to wait till summer to move!). 

All these years later, seeing her only maybe once a year, perhaps prolonged hanging onto that bond, prolonged it till it was just a thread, and now these last couple of years I reached the end of the rope.

10 comments:

  1. These really resonated with me, WRB:

    "She doesn’t get it that how you treat and respect people makes a family feel warm, not the gourmet food, or the décor."

    "NM feels super smart and in charge"

    "Time went on and it was never addressed"

    The ballistic freak-out was so petty and unnecessary! I understand why it would bring you relief, though - like, "see, this is how she is." The fact that DH was there and stood up for the rational perspective is so great!

    MY NM also surrounds herself with people she can control. She focuses on the decor and the massive food quantities, blabbing away, asking questions and not bothering to listen to the answers. I also expect that NM is hoping time will go on, never having to address her bad behavior.

    I too felt a strong bond to my NM growing up - which is why I tried for so long to "make it work" - but the jig is up.

    hugs, good stories.
    upsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said that your NM had to be at your “After the Holidays” party intended for "new neighbors" and "old friends", it sent a chill down my spine. My BNM and NF always had to be at any event that was specifically *not* meant for them. They had to insert themselves into every aspect of my life.

    I remember my mom saying, “I haven’t seen you in a while—why don’t you fix up a little and make your hair all gorgeous like you can do.”

    My BNM was always commenting on how she "likes my hair short" and "your hair is so thin, it would look better short". She often made me feel terribly for the way that I liked to dress when I was a child and even when I was a teenager. She wanted me to dress like her, I think. She often bought and gave me clothing as a gift, which I think is sort of an inappropriate thing to do unless you know that the person wants/likes a specific item.

    And I don’t think my SF liked seeing me cuddling with DH (the SF was a pervert--more on him later).

    My NF hated to see me even just hanging out with my boyfriends in high school. I, too, even got the same feeling while cuddling with my own husband.

    “You know what? It sort of feels good. It feels good knowing I won’t talk to her. I’m kind of glad that this happened. I feel some relief.”

    The whole dog thing was a way to, excuse my French - piss all over your new home and your life with DH. It sounds like she was extremely jealous. Also, people love dogs. She knew that if she had the dog there, she would likely draw attention away from you and your husband and your celebration.

    Funny how we think we won't talk to them again, but they keep coming back for more. We are their foundation - they use us to hold up their image. Though a bit confusing, it really is sort of a relief when you know they won't be talking to you for a while.

    There was a point when DH and I decided to do our own thing for the holidays and my BNM and NF acted like 6-year-olds with hurt feelings. It's strange how, when they were in our shoes, they could have all the time they wanted with their new families, but now that we want the same, it's no longer okay.

    Thanks so much for sharing your story! I always feel a little bit more validated when I read the similar experiences of others.

    Hugs,
    Raven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your DH was there and took firm control. Ns love to trounce on their children, but they'll step back when it comes to a spouse. And boy do they resent it!

    I'll take a stab at this and guess that your NM wanted to be at your party to insert herself with anyone you know that she doesn't. I'll also guess she wanted to bring her dog to make the occasion about herself. The more confusion her ill-mannered dog creates, the better in her mind. It will create a distasteful impression of you and wreak havoc at YOUR party. It would be uncomfortable for all and they would leave. Nobody would say a word out of politeness.

    Your NMs comment about the hair intrigued me. It was a backhanded deniable insult for sure, like one-upmanship. Like 'oh you can look better than this!' Raven's comment also intrigued me because my NM did the same thing. I didn't look good enough unless I looked like her. It's very creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. Oh my, oh my, oh my. I'm so sorry that you went through that. I've been in many similar situations and understand how miserable it must have made you feel. It's a shame that it had to be around the holidays, usually one of the times that people seem to make the most memories.

    This almost reads like a BNM checklist:

    She doesn’t get it that how you treat and respect people makes a family feel warm, not the gourmet food, or the décor.

    Check.

    ...saying that “she was done with any rules”...

    Check. (For my BNM, this happened with my younger brother. She would continuously and emphatically say "I'm done raising children" when he wasn't even a teenager.)

    She went ballistic.

    Check.

    Cried like a three-year old.

    Check.

    Told me how she paid for my schools, my wedding, did everything for me, and look what she gets in return. “A slap in the face to her.”

    Check and check. (My BNM would rage like this over the most trivial of things. I once refused to watch a Dr. Wayne Dyer special that she wanted me to watch and she screamed at me, throwing the fact that she "helped" us buy the house we're currently living in.)

    By the way, normal dog-people (like us) realize that maybe not everyone in the world is a dog person. They can be scary. They can cause an allergic reaction. They can get in the way. They can eliminate in the house or leave tons of fur all over the place. These things are NOT OK for a lot of people, and those who can empathize would know this. It was a ridiculous request on the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raven, your comment just made me burst out laughing:

    "The whole dog thing was a way to, excuse my French - piss all over your new home and your life with DH."

    So true!!

    upsi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raven - the same applies to my NM, I swear she wants me to look like her! She always buys or gives me clothes that SHE would wear and that are not flattering on me at all, particularly since I'm over 20 years younger than her! She also buys me jewelry even though I'm not a big jewelry-wearer - she herself wears tons of jewelry all the time. The weird thing is, I think she wants me to look like her, but a lesser version of her. That's why the clothes she gives me are always a little too big or awkward looking, and why often if we're shopping together she'll say something looks good on me that I think looks bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Remains Behind - I can very much relate to the way your NM puts on a huge display when she's hosting a get together. My NM goes all out when she has people over, with gourmet food and expensive drinks, served on china. And then she'll spend most of the time working in the kitchen or playing hostess and pretending to listen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. upsi - glad I could make ya laugh, hehe! :) It is true though isn't it? - Like Shaun said, dogs "can be scary. They can cause an allergic reaction. They can get in the way. They can eliminate in the house or leave tons of fur all over the place." She knew the dog would ruin WRB's home and/or celebration in one way or another. She was unbearably jealous and wanted so badly to knock her daughter down a bit in front of all her friends so that way, she'd have nothing more to be envious of. The dog "pissing" was so very literal, but so very figurative at the same time - that's the way they like it! So sick and sad.

    rys and CC - I'm so sorry to hear that your NM's did the same thing to you with their comments on your clothing. As rys said, it really *is* creepy isn't it? :/ My BNM did this to me all the time too CC!:

    She always buys or gives me clothes that SHE would wear and that are not flattering on me at all, particularly since I'm over 20 years younger than her!

    and

    That's why the clothes she gives me are always a little too big or awkward looking, and why often if we're shopping together she'll say something looks good on me that I think looks bad.

    OH WRB - I forgot to add that my BNM made a big deal about the food too - she cooked everything and enslaved us "women" the whole day to assist her while she let out heavy sighs and stressed out the whole day. It ruined the occasion every time. Still, she volunteered to do it every year because she had to be in control of the food or it wouldn't be good enough.

    Wow, again I relate so much to what has been said here! Thanks again for sharing your story WRB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Upsi, Raven, Rys, Shaun, CC…much, much thanks! The validation of everyone’s comments is amazing. Things from that story are much clearer now! Yes, she was jealous. She always flips out when we make normal, grown up decisions without her input. When she did visit us in that house I was there alone for her arrival and within 3 mins of her in the door I was ready to throw her out. She announced what I needed to do in each room such as, “A picture needs to go there; (next room) a rug needs to go there.”
    Years later we got our first dog. When I told her we got it from the Humane Society and that it was big I got a “Oh, no, that is not a lap sized dog! Omg its poop will be huge! Why’d you get a big dog!!?!” (Reader, we loved him till he died of old age 13 yrs later).

    ReplyDelete
  10. WRB -

    We have two dogs, a purebred Yellow Lab (our high school biology teacher was the breeder!) and a purebred standard poodle. Both dogs are big dogs and have huge poop, yes. However, both are much more mellow, lovable, and cuddlier than any ankle-biter ever could be. I'm convinced that miniature or teacup breeds are offician N breeds.

    ReplyDelete